Wednesday, February 17, 2010

hello, Lent.

"So Ash Wednesday kicks off this ancient discipline by reminding us just why we need to refocus on God. And it reminds us how lost and sinful we are on our own. It's no coincidence that Lent culminates in Holy Week. Ash Wednesday reminds us of the sin in our lives that required Christ's Incarnation—and His eventual death."

-Relevant Magazine

edit: so, maybe i should have mentioned in this post what i am giving up this year. i thought for a while about maybe giving up facebook or something internet-related because it is kind of consuming, but the more i thought about it, the more i realized that facebook is not so much a sacrifice for me. it's nowhere near a sacrifice like giving up frivolous shopping, which is the same thing i gave up last year, but something i still feel i need to work on. old habits die hard, right?

on the same note, i'm hoping to start reading a book called Enough: Contentment in an Age of Excess during Lent. i'll let you know how it is!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lent. Such an excellent practice that I never really participated in because I grew up Southern Baptist. But this year I am participating for the first time. I decided to read the Bible every day during Lent. Surely I should do that anyway, but let's be honest, I don't. So I'm giving up my apathy or laziness or whatever it is that keeps me from doing that.

    You giving up (or taking up) anything this year?

    ReplyDelete