i recently watched the movie Adam, which is about a guy with Asperger's Syndrome. it really struck a chord with me because speech pathologists frequently work with people with Asperger's and Autism. in my clinical rotation right now at a jr. high, i am working with a couple of teenagers with Asperger's, and it is so interesting to see how their minds work. the aspects of social interaction, like holding a conversation, interpreting humor and being sensitive to other's emotions, which are so natural for us, are difficult for them. and what makes it even more complicated is that from the outside, no would know that they have this syndrome. they can be mistaken for insensitive, rude and arrogant people. in the movie, Adam struggles when meeting new people, cultivating a romantic relationship and going on a job interview. i can't imagine how challenging it must be to go through life with Asperger's.
through this experience of working with kids with Asperger's and Autism, along with my last rotation at a daycare for kids with developmental disabilities, i think i might be interested in working at a therapy facility which specializes in helping kids with disabilities, including Asperger's.
I don't think I told you this, but I watched Adam and I for reals loved it. I can't really even put my finger on why. I just did. I'm glad that you feel drawn to this population of people because I think you would work well with them. The fact that you can remain composed on the outside, even if you feel nervous on the inside should help you to interact. I am pro this idea.
ReplyDelete